A New Beginning!


Welcome to Psalms!

No book has the power to encourage, motivate, challenge or uplift as does Psalms. As I read and study passages from Psalms each day, golden nuggets of truth and inspiration bless me deeply. The purpose of this blog is to have a means of sharing those insights with you...so you too can be blessed...and encouraged, motivated, challenged and lifted high!

So dive in...and be blessed!

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Wind that Passes

Psalm 78:39b

Often we think too highly of ourselves.  Pride creeps into our countenance, or flippantly gallops through our being.  The result is the same: we think too highly of ourselves.

Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of how God sees us.  After all, His view is the only one that really matters.  And how He sees you and me is recorded by the psalmist:

“…a wind that passes and does not return…” (Psalm 78:39b)

Contemplate this and you will be humbled.  Quickly you see there is no place for pride in one’s thoughts, attitudes or actions.  No matter the position I hold nor the number of years I live, I have all the substance and staying-power of…wind!  And not even a powerful, gale-like, constant wind.  But rather, a wind that passes quickly and is never felt again.  The same is true of you; of all individuals.  Truly, there is no place for pride in any of us.

This passage really impacted me recently…to the point I could not stop thinking about it.  I was profoundly struck by the brevity of life, the nothingness of life.  What do I have that is of any real importance?  What do I do that really matters?  Like the wind, I may blow for a moment but then I am gone and will never return.

The longer I contemplated this passage, the more my depression gave way to inquiry.  I don’t think God included this thought in Scripture just to knock us down; but rather, to challenge us. 

Two things, it seems to me, become increasingly important as one contemplates how like the wind we are.  First, we must serve faithfully.  With whatever number of days we have, we must use them – each and every one – faithfully serving God, being obedient to His plan and desire for our lives.  Obedience and faithfulness are commanded of Christians, and rewards for such are promised.  What else is there of importance, other than to serve faithfully He who saves you, loves you, and guarantees your eventual entrance into Heaven?

Second thing we must do is finish well.  As does the wind, one day I will pass away and be no more.  Nothing I can do about that.  But until then, there is a lot I can do.  I can run the race to win!  I can strive each day to accomplish something of value for the Kingdom.  I can fight the enemy and encourage the family.  And I can keep doing so until the day of my departure.

Dear friend, I will not be here long.  But for as long as I am here, let me serve faithfully each day He who loves me so.  Let me impact a life, build the Kingdom and touch eternity…and let me do so until the day I leave.

I may blow only for a moment; then disappear.  But I am resolved to blow faithfully and to blow well…for as long as I have breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment