A New Beginning!


Welcome to Psalms!

No book has the power to encourage, motivate, challenge or uplift as does Psalms. As I read and study passages from Psalms each day, golden nuggets of truth and inspiration bless me deeply. The purpose of this blog is to have a means of sharing those insights with you...so you too can be blessed...and encouraged, motivated, challenged and lifted high!

So dive in...and be blessed!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Have Treasured Your Word

Psalm 119:11,25-32

To treasure something is to place a high value upon it; to enjoy it; to spend time with it or thinking about it.  Our treasures have importance in our lives.  What do you treasure?  Do you treasure God’s Word?  Does the Bible have importance in your life; is it something you enjoy spending time with and thinking about?

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible and it is all about the wonders and benefits of God’s Word.  One verse though seems to summarize the writer’s feelings about God’s Word and why he feels as he does:

I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.” (Psalm 119:11)

The psalm writer treasures the Bible.  It is of great importance to him.  As you read the psalm, you discover that he spends time in the Word multiple times each day; that he meditates upon it, thinks about what he has read and lives his life based upon what God had instructed in His Word.  This psalm writer is the epitome of one who treasures God’s Word.

But, why?  Why does he do so?

The answer to this question he gives in the same verse: “so that I may not sin against You.”  God’s Word is the key to experiencing the fullness of what Christ offers…the abundance that is the Christian life.  Therefore, all believers should treasure the Bible.

Here are five specific reasons why all believers should treasure the Bible…5 things God’s Word gives me:

1. Life

My life is down in the dust; give me life through Your word.” (vs. 25)

Life itself is received from the Word of God – the Living and written Word.  Still being under the penalty of sin, a person’s life is “in the dust,” as if they already were dead and decayed.  God’s Word changes this.  From Scripture we learn the path to real and lasting Life.

2. Understanding

Help me understand the meaning of Your precepts so that I can meditate on Your wonders…I pursue the way of Your commands, for You broaden my understanding.” (vs. 27,32)

Understanding (which is knowledge perceived and applied) comes and is broadened by spending time treasuring God’s Word.  As a pastor, many times I have heard someone say: “I just want to understand!  My response is to ask a question: “Do you really…do you really want to understand; and are you willing to do what is required to understand?

Almost always their answer is, “Yes!  So I direct them to these verses and ask them to simply spend time in the Bible.  Understanding comes and is broadened as we treasure God’s Word.

3. Strength

I am weary from grief; strengthen me through Your word.” (vs. 28)

God’s Word provides strength to those who treasure it.  Through tough times, confusing times, even times when we are “weary from grief,” we can be strengthened.  You and I can receive an infusion of incredible strength – if we are spending time with the Bible.

Psalm 23 (perhaps the best known psalm; often heard at funerals) says this: “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff – they comfort me” (vs. 4).  What exactly is God’s “rod and staff?”  What does He use to guide us, nudge us, rescue us when we need it, and to give us strength?  The answer is: His Word.

4. Clarity/Discernment

Keep me from the way of deceit, and graciously give me Your instruction.  I have chosen the way of truth; I have set Your ordinances [before me].” (vs. 29-30)

By treasuring God’s Word we can better see and recognize deceit.  The lies and traps others might set are effective against those without clear vision.  But for the one who treasures Scripture, they are clearly seen because the Bible gives us clarity.

Likewise, treasuring God’s Word gives us the ability to discern untruth, whereever we might find it.  We can better detect untruth because we are becoming so familiar with the Truth!

Do you want to fall into the traps of deceit and untruths?  I presume not.  Therefore, to have clarity and discernment, treasure God’s Word.

5. Security

I cling to Your decrees; Lord, do not put me to shame.” (vs. 31)

By treasuring the Bible – clinging to His decrees – I have confidence that I will not be ashamed in the end.  I will not be among those cast out of His presence for eternity.  I will be secure!

Every Christian has this confidence – as did the psalm writer – not because of any goodness or wisdom in us, but because of God’s promises.  How do we learn about those promises and come to know with confidence that we will not be shamed at the final judgment?  By now, the answer should be obvious: by treasuring God’s Word.

I love God’s Word and I desire to treasure it more and more.  As time goes by this becomes ever truer, for many reasons.  But certainly among those reasons, perhaps at the top of the list, are these five we have listed: life, understanding, strength, clarity/discernment and security.  All of these are found in one place…in one source: God’s Word!

Love it.  Treasure it.  Hide it in your heart…and be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment